Life in the Girl Lane

A thirtysomething's perspective on life, love, and everything in between.

Friday, January 21, 2005

"Coming Out" as a Writer

Turning 25 has been quite the enlightening experience. You can call me Buddha. :) More traumatic than the actual birthday was the anticipation of it all. What had I honestly accomplished in my life prior to this milestone? What did I have to show besides an okay job and a lackluster love life? Besides having a phenomenal family and incredible friends, I had my writing. And now it was time to share it with the world. I realized that my focus needed to be less about what I hadn't done and more about what I was going to do in the next 5 years.

Since I could hold a pencil in my hand, I've been writing. I recall my preteen days thinking I would be the next writer of Beverly Hills, 90210. And believe me I tried although I don' t believe my scripts would be racy enough for today's television. My passion for writing continued as I began chronicling my life, my feelings, and my emotions in my first journal at age 15. It started out as meaningless chatter about who liked and who and who we "couldn't stand" and all those things that high school girls obsess about. Gradually, it began to be my place of refuge from the chaos that was my life. Things I could not bear to share with even my closest friends were deposited onto the pages of my journal. Over the years, I continued to write and eventually I began to see the growth.

I have often thought that my experiences were relatable - the questions I asked myself, the situations I encountered, the feelings I harbored - and that perhaps I could use them to help others, like myself, navigate through this sometimes exciting, sometimes tumultuous twentysomething existence.

So I started with my closest friends. I reached out to those who had known me the best over the years and shared my deepest feelings about life and lessons learned. The inspiration and positive response I received from them sparked me to do this - go public. Hopefully, this endeavor will touch your heart and bring a laugh, smile, or knowing sigh. Keep the faith girls! The best is yet to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home