Life in the Girl Lane

A thirtysomething's perspective on life, love, and everything in between.

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Swagger Like Us

7/7/09

Since sexy never left me, I never had to bring it back. My swagger, however, has been misplaced from time to time. Whether it was spurred by a bad hair day, a bad work day, or a bad boy day, there have been times where I’ve had to reckon with how to get my swagger back. Over the years, I’ve tried a number of things until I found my ultimate antidote.

In high school, with no money of my own to spend, my remedy was exercise. I remember getting a gym membership for Christmas and starting my workout regimen soon after the New Year. I loved the post-run rush, but even more I loved how my muscles looked as I admired them in the mirror.

As exercise became a regular part of my life, I needed a new substitute. So in college, I took to shopping with the little bit of money I made from my part time job. A new tube top here. A new short skirt there. Little tokens of my affection from me to me! As I walked in my clunky wedges (hey, it was the late 90’s!) to the parties, they gave me a strut in my step.

When I became a grown up girl with a grown up girl job (and thus grown up girl funds), I moved on to massages. This indulgence made me feel like a million dollars without it costing a million dollars. When I felt rested and relaxed, I knew I could take on the world.

In the past 3 years, when all of the above became standard how-I-take-care-of-me components of my life, I need something else to fill in the gap. What was a girl to do? For me, it became as simple as slipping on my favorite Freya set under anything from a T-shirt and sweatpants to a party dress. Yes, homies, I'm talking about lingerie (or as Jamie Foxx’s character Wanda from In Living Color would say with her lips poked out, “ling-er-ee.”) Not the peek-a-boo wedding night numbers, but beautifully crafted and exquisitely designed bras and panties that flatter all of your assets. To wear quality pieces that not only provide you support but also look amazing on your body gives you a certain spring in your step and stature to your posture. And even if you aren’t wearing anything special on the outside, your little secret on the inside is just fabulous! No one will know why you ooze the confidence you do.

I’ve spent a pretty penny on this indulgence, but why not? I’m worth the splurge. My swagger is an investment and so is yours! (If you want to know more about the specific pieces that I love or the numerous other glamorous options for women that look like you, check out The Lingerie Post. Here you can find the latest and greatest on all things lingerie – it’s not just nighties and negligees. And I would know as one of TLP’s correspondents!).

So keep this in mind, ladies. The key to reclaiming your swagger is about finding what works for you. If it makes you feel indulgent, empowered, confident, sexy, special, and swaggerlicious, then do it. Remember, your swagger is not about him. If he notices or appreciates, that’s the cherry on top of the delectable hot fudge sundae that is your fabulous life!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home