Life in the Girl Lane

A thirtysomething's perspective on life, love, and everything in between.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

An addendum

I know you are much smarter than this and would not want to insult your intelligence, my friend. However, there are some of your counterparts that missed the memo. Perhaps you can pass it on.

God is not a gateway.

Using a woman’s religion is never okay. God is not a gateway into her pants. Not only is this sacrilegious and disrespectful, it is just plain ridiculous. You cannot call me sugar pants on Saturday night and then expect to join me at church on Sunday morning.

And while we are on the topic of the most inappropriate behaviors, please leave a woman’s race, culture, or ethnicity out of it, too. While I hope you appreciate this about her and are interested to learn more, know the difference between that and making ignorant assumptions or exploitations. For instance, no one wants to be your “chocolate goddess.” And no, she does not necessarily cook in a wok and know kung fu because her ancestors are from Asia. Curiosity interest in culture is one thing, but the first question out of your mouth does not need to be, “What is your background?” Does it really matter? What I have to say should trump where my grandparents were born.

Just want to keep you in the loop. As always, thanks for listening. Hopefully I’ll find that these messages are making their way into the mainstream and that my experiences start to change for the better. If not, I’ll be back again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home