Life in the Girl Lane

A thirtysomething's perspective on life, love, and everything in between.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Fruit

I’ve heard that in life, you need to go out on a limb because that is where the fruit is. But going out on a limb can be quite scary – especially if you are afraid of heights, or of falling. Because being out on the limb leaves you vulnerable and in life, there are no safety nets. And falling hurts.

But still, I face my fears, and higher I climb and the farther out on the limb I venture to where I grasp the fruit. Through my fingers it slides. I try to tighten my grip, but soon I find myself grasping only air as to the ground I fall sending shock waves through my body. Bruised and battered again. Makes it difficult to pull myself up, dust myself off, and make that climb again.

But I do. Make that climb again. Graced with slightly more wisdom than before. But again, I find myself floating through the air back toward the hard and unforgiving earth. And harder I fall. This time I take a little longer to rest under the tree and wait for the stinging to subside. I lack the energy and effort to climb yet again. But with rest, and the mending of my wounds, I will find the strength necessary to climb. The fruit I’m reaching for just has to be worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home