Life in the Girl Lane

A thirtysomething's perspective on life, love, and everything in between.

Friday, October 27, 2006

The Boys of Summer - Part II

Boy # 2 - The Doctor

After a fender bender, work stress, and a recently fizzled fling, meeting “The Doctor” couldn’t have happened at a better time. The bends, curves, and bumps in the road had been brutal and I was in desperate need of some stress free fun! So by a stroke of good fortune, I found out that I had won a happy hour party! Perfect!

After a harsh, snowy winter and a rainy spring, summer had finally arrived. Well, not technically, but based when you can wear a tank top out without a jacket – it’s summer!

Happy hour turned into happy two hours and then three. Friends had been floating in and out for a while when a few of us decided to take a load off. As we sipped on martinis and scoped out the scene, my eyes fell upon a table of about 10 attractive guys. Naturally, my attention was piqued. Aided by more than a few ounces of liquid confidence, I alerted my companions and dared them to dare me to talk to the guys. For a girl like me, who doesn’t shy away from a challenge, this was my chance to make a move. And for the friends who enjoy my antics, this was their chance to be entertained. They raised my “I dare you to dare me” with a “I double dog dare you” and “I triple dare you!”

With a one last gulp of my drink and a deep breath, I rose confidently from my seat and whispered, “I’ll be back!” At the table, there was an empty seat in between two of the guys and I took that as my invitation. I introduced myself as I slid into the seat. I was subsequently introduced to the assortment of gentlemen around the table. My gaze and attention was enticed by the beautiful man to my left who I soon found out was a resident at one of the hospitals. My previous pre-med days opened up our initial conversation and after that, it was as if no one else existed in the room. We talked about a little of everything – my accident, my party, his work, his work, our mutual interest in dancing. And as minutes turned into an hour, I was enthralled. In my head, I checked off boxes on my then list-of-what-I want-in-a-guy and was a smitten kitten.

Before long, Doctor and his crew of friends were en route to another location to which he invited me to join. I still was still in the process of coordinating between my friends that were game to being a part of my saga and the ones who were ready to haul me home because work would come early the next morning. So I pinky promised him I would meet him there and urged him to go ahead with his friends. After much begging and threatening, I managed to finagle my two friends to stay out just a few minutes longer so I could see what would happen.

My wonderful, selfless friends and I arrived at the new location and I quickly spotted Doctor and his group of friends and we picked up exactly where we left off. Before long, more friends departed and I knew I also needed to make my way home. We spent a few more minutes exchanging words and eventually exchanging numbers. With clasped hands, we walked out the door. A light, summer breeze filled the air as we watched for the white lights of an available cab. We made tentative, open ended plans to spend time together soon and I could barely contain my excitement. A cab approached and we hugged goodbye.

After the following exhausting day and relaxing evening, I found myself preparing for bed long before my post midnight bedtime of the night before. Much to my surprise, as I climbed into bed, I picked up my beeping phone to read his just-because-can’t-wait-to-see-you message. And as my head hit the pillow, I dreamed only of a world of possibilities with me and the Doctor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home