Life in the Girl Lane

A thirtysomething's perspective on life, love, and everything in between.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Breakthrough

The life of a twentysomething girl can sometimes be compared to an episode of Sex and the City (although in some cases “Fooling Around in the City” might be a more appropriate description). And like the legendary show, life is more than encounters and escapades. It’s about experiences, friendships, relationships, and breakthroughs. Just like Carrie Bradshaw, I had a breakthrough of my own.


Maybe it was the magic of the city. Maybe it was a fleeting memory. I’m not sure what it was that sparked my breakthrough during a rainy cab ride on an ordinary night. Whatever it was, I pondered on my past and certain individuals who had come in and then left out of my life. Despite being “over it,” the question still nagged at the back of my mind, “Why wasn’t it me?” And then it struck me. I recalled the episode of Sex and the City in which Carrie confronts Mr. Big with the same question. As she and the girls sip their cosmopolitans, they have the epiphany that life is imitating the art of the movies. In The Way We Were, the main character chooses the “simple girl” over the “complicated girl.” That was it for me as well! The Mr. Bigs of my world also chose the simple and unruffled path with the simple girl, so it never would have worked.


Not every man is strong enough, brave enough, or willing enough to be with the complicated girl. Being with this type of girl is a challenge, but a challenge well worth undertaking for the man able and glad to take it on. The type of man that understands that being complicated isn’t bad. The man who understands that the complicated girl is not one dimensional. The man who embraces that she is not about making life difficult for the sake of being difficult, but about exploring her layers of interests, feelings, beliefs, values, and personas that sometimes clash. The man who desires the fire and passion and depth that accompany this type of girl.


And so we “complicated girls” wait. With each experience and interaction, we move closer to finding this strong enough, brave enough, willing enough man, because he’s out there.

1 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe at one point, the right person takes all the complicatedness away...

Think about it, I really think it's all about 'the match'...

Great read, by the way.


kisses
M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home